Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Maddens 09

We just got back from Brainerd today and it was quite a trip. Avery enjoyed herself thoroughly and I must say I did too. I'll start with what we did from the Friday evening we got there.

We arrived around 5pm and stopped at Target for a floaty and beach ball for Avery and Claritin for Dad. We at at a place called Pancho Lefty's and it was pretty bland and blah for Mexican food. When we got back we got in the pool even though the weather was cool, the outdoor pool was heated and it was nice. There was a icecream shop called Chrissy's where they had really good Kemps icecream. There was also stuffed animals and candy in the shop.

AJ (my dad's old boss) and Jack (the person who took his position when he got promoted) were there with their families. AJ and his wife Jodi had a boy named Devon and a girl, Kelsie. Jack and RoseAnne had a boy Ryan, and a girl Samantha. Samantha was 13 and she immediately took a liking to Avery. They all played together pretty well and Avery really liked Sam too.

Saturday we went to the Cafe in the main lodge area and had a pretty good breakfast. My dad went golfing and we had slept in till about 9:30 even though a alarm in an empty room went off from 6-7 am. When my dad got back he took Avery to the Adventure Cove park and Mom and I went to the Westgate Mall. I was not impressed. It was worse than Stevens Points Mall, and I thought that was pathetic. So we didn't waste much time there. When we got back Avery went swimming with the kids and I watched. They had a bonfire and Avery had smores and hammed it up with AJ who she was feeling pretty chummy with. I had icecream at Chrissy's again.

Sunday I was woken by the alarm again which this time when we called the front desk, someone actually came and turned it off by 6:25. But by then the damage was done and I was awake for good. I took a shower and went to the coffee shop to read for about an hour. I came back around 8:00 and my dad was up then but Avery and my mom were still asleep. He was going golfing again and we had facial appointments at 10. Avery was supposed to stay with the kids but she didn't like being alone and came with me to my appointment. It was okay, but I'm not comfortable with people touching me and it was half facial, half massage so I wasn't too thrilled. We finished before my mom because she was getting an eyebrow wax too so Avery and I went back to the room. We had lunch at the cafe and my dad joined us after golf. We went swimming for a bit and my mom got in while I took a shower and went to check out the free magazines and snacks a the meeting place. At 5:30 we dropped Avery off at Adventure Cove for the kids party while we went to the awards dinner. It drug on till about 9pm when I went and got Avery.

Monday we let Avery and Dad sleep in and we had a great brunch at the "town hall" I think it was called. We were stuffed and came back to the room so dad could go golf in the Classic and we could go to the Pine River Riding Stables for horseback riding. There were kittens lounging in an old stroller and they were absolutely adorable. A little grey tabby took a great liking to me, and loved to stretch his claws on my legs. Avery didn't want to ride her own horse so she went with me. My knees definitely took a beating and by the time we were done, they weren't feeling too great. They also had donkeys, goats and an emu there. Also in a little pen called "Puppyville" were spaniel puppies and golden retrievers. They were chompy little fellas and Avery mostly spent the time trying to get them not to steal her sunglasses off her shirt. We went back for the company picnic. We had some time before it so Avery and I got a rootbeer float while mom napped. At the picnic there were games and a jumpy for the kids. The food was really good and she had a fun time. I got a little bit of a sunburn for the first time.

Tuesday (today) was our last day there and mom and I got up for brunch again. We woke Avery up around 9 and got ready to go. On the way out of Brainerd we stopped at Paul Bunyon Land and Avery had a blast on a bunch of rides. There was also a small petting zoo with some really bored looking animals. The donkey paced backwards and fowards nonstop. The chickens didn't move a muscle, but the goats were pretty fun. They had a little play ground looking thing outside. There was also a small cow who happily chewed on my hand when the food was gone. We headed home after that. Avery's playing in the tub, and I think she might actually sleep all night in her own bed. I'm crossing my fingers.

No comments: