Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I know Riley is kind of a jerk to other people, but since he's my dog and he likes me...I don't know, I guess I'm okay with it. I'm dog-sitting Rafferty, Dulcey's dog this week. He is a Cocker Spaniel mix and he's...nutty. He has more energy than I have witnessed in an animal in this household in years. He came bounding into the apartment Sunday afternoon during my Party Lite party. He settled down fairly quickly and was happy as long as he was on someones lap, or being pet. Avery absolutely adores him since he is nice to her and plays with her and generally loves her too. He sleeps in his kennel in her room.

Yesterday I decided he needed a good long walk to rid him of some excess energy. We went for a 3 mile walk and stopped at Subway for a break and I got chips and iced tea. After we got back he still bounded around for a bit, but eventually did lay down. I'm pretty sure he could have gone for another 3 miles. So this morning I was trying to give Majik his treat of cat milk in the bedroom. Rafferty will eat anything food related that is within his reach so I had to put Riley and Majik's food up. When he came in the room while I was giving Maj the milk I told him to get out. He didn't, so I said it again and shooed him towards the door. Well this sent him into a "beaten dog" mode and he shoved himself under my bed trying to get away from my "wrath". Finally I got him up, and he spent the remaining few minutes before I left trying to make sure we were still friends.

Anyway he's here for another 12 days so things will be interesting for awhile yet. Riley isn't pleased with the addition but he'll live. It's made me appreciate him a bit more. Facts like, he won't run away if I leave the door open a crack, and if he does run, me yelling "Stop!" does actually work. Rafferty...not so much. I got to chase him around the neighborhood barefoot. Not fun. Riley doesn't jump all over me or randomly throw himself into my lap. I can calmly pet him in bed as we go to sleep. These are good things. I must remember that when he's barking his fool head off at the door bell. Oh yeah, Rafferty doesn't bark. +1 for him.

No comments: